[Sca-cooks] Cheese portions

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 15:16:11 PDT 2005

> Thank You, Master Adamantuis!!!  What a wonderful
> article.  Do you have any
> suggestions, other than "DON'T!" for making a large
> amount of slipcote (say
> enough for 200+ servings)?
>
> Mairi Ceilidh

Cut small?!?!  :)  People will only eat about 2-3
ounces of cheese in a sitting, and depending on what
you serve with it they may even eat less.  If you
plate it to serve you'll be able to get away with less
as well, as you can control exactly how much each
person will be getting.  If you are planning on
serving plated servings to 200+ people I'd estimate
you'd need about two wheels of a size of a 3-kilo brie
(the large 14" diameter size).  If you are having a
buffet you're going to want about 25% more so that
there's enough for an attractive display and to make
up for the barbarians that will hack roughly at it.
;)  I sell artisanal cheese for a living so I do this
a *lot*.

You can make enough of the cheese ahead of time, but
do a test-run first so you can determine how much
waste you'll get when the "coat" slips off the cheese
and a good estimate of how many servings each will
make.  The more cream you use the higher a yield
you'll have too...

Eibhlin