[Sca-cooks] Re: Rose vinegar

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 11:21:40 PDT 2005

Brighid wrote:

> It says a pound of roses to an arroba of vinegar.  The arroba is a liquid
> measure equivalent to about 16 -17 quarts.  I don't know if the weight of
> roses should change if one is using dried rather than fresh.  Incidently,
> red roses are preferred to white, as they are supposedly more aromatic.

I've got some extremely fragrant 100% orgainc, unsprayed roses I'd be
willing to donate to the cause. Too bad you missed the big bloom 2 weeks
ago. For the rest of the summer it will be a few roses at a time. I'll start
clipping them, if you like, because I don't know how long I'm going to be
able to hold the black spot at bay before I have to spray.

Roses shrivel when they dry. Depending on the variety, you loose 50-75% of
the weight. Obviously, you're talking about just the petals, here, not the
whole flower head.

Berelinde,
Lazy rose gardener