[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 25, Issue 87

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 21:24:48 PDT 2005

In a message dated 06/19/2005 3:46:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> There isn't much one can do to protect such large trees.  Other than
> perhaps a squirrel stalking cat.  Hmmm ... I should look into hawks and owls
> too, although
> they probably wouldn't like living in an urban area.

Actually, yes they do. I live and work in a fairly urban area, and we have
several varieties of Hawks in the area. Broad Wing Hawks nest close to my house,
I have seen Cooper's Hawks, Red Wing Hawks and Red Tail Hawks in the area. I
sat in the Homewood Park one afternoon and watched a RedTail catch and eat
lunch-a nice fat gray squirrel.
Perhaps if you could find some area Falconers, they may agree to come and
train their hunters in your backyard. They may catch a squirrel or two, and scare
the others into early heart failure. ;)
If you saw any of the Falconers at Gulf Wars, they were flying Red Tails.
Every time a person came by with one of those raccoon tails or furry tails, those
birds were _VERY_ interested....
BTW-Redtails are the largest of the Hawks-squirrels, chipmunks, small rabbits
and snakes are their natural prey.

Sorry to go on-but you just happened to be talking about one of my favorite
creatures. <G>

Helen Hawksworth

Quarterly gules and sable a hawk trussing a duck argent