[Sca-cooks] Cooks Con and Congratulations!!! Yay, Kateryn!!!

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 23 21:57:49 PDT 2005

From: "Cat ." <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com>

>Well, Cook Con 3 has come and gone and it was A BLAST!
>(waves madly at everyone who was there.)  It was
>wonderful to see everyone and Im sorry to have missed
>those who were unable to go.

<<<

I had a great time! And it was nice to meet some of you at last.

>Friday night was social time and the chance to catch
>up with events.  The BIGGEST news is that another of
>our very own is about to SPROUT!  Seems at Lillies,
>Kateryn de Develyn was offered admittance to the Order
>of the Laurel to be elevated at Calontir Kingdom A&S
>on July 23 in Leavenworth KS.

<<<

Yes, CONGRATULATIONS, Kateryn! It was a wonderful piece of news. You rock!

>Saturday was chock full of classes and presentations.
>The Guest of Honor, John Hudson, was INCREDIBLE.

<<<

Someone ought to give this man a television show -- he was *great* to
watch, and had a wonderful sense of humor besides. I can't remember when
I had so much fun watching someone else cook. :)

The other sessions were good, too. And I finally got to see the inside
of Plas Mawr (or at least, pictures of it), since it was closed when I
tried to go there.

>I had to miss Sundays sessions due to prior family
>(DAD) plans, and so for the fourth time missed out on
>Dame Alys’ sugarplate workshop, but time with dad was
>worth it.  Im sure someone who was there can tell you
>all about what I missed.

<<<

Well, I spent the day out by the fire, helping with Eirene's "Cooking
over a Fire" demo. She has a great setup, with spits and a firebox and
three-legged skillets and a cast-iron potjie, and now some of John
Hudson's pottery as well. We used one of his pipkins to parboil turnips
in, and it worked great. Oh, and I made the apples from Rumpolt again,
and this time I remembered to dredge them in flour first (the recipe
basically says to flour the apples and fry them, then strew sugar on
before serving -- though I once again added some cinnamon as well.) They
were well received.

Between the meats we roasted (beef and chicken), the Turnips a la
Beausse from Le Menagier, the porriol of onions, the apples, the losyns,
and some beef ribs broiled on a gridiron, we produced enough food to be
supper for those remaining at the conference.

Of course, that means I missed the sugar plate class, too. There are
times when I really wish I could figure out how to be in two places at once.

>Congratulations again Kateryn, (HUGS)

<<<

Heartily seconded! I wish we'd gotten to talk more, but Calontir isn't
all that far away from the Outlands, and maybe we can find an event
where we don't both have so many things to do. Do post back and let us
all know how the ceremony went!!!

Arwen