An Apology (was RE: Creative Supplimentation (was RE: [Sca-cooks]English Doctorswantto ban pointy knives...))

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Wed Jun 1 18:00:33 PDT 2005

Mistress Huette said:

> I am not upset or insulted.  It is only online where gender
> cannot always be determined by name.
> You are not the first to make this error and, unfortunately,
> you probably won't be the last.
> Poor Phlip probably gets gender misidentified more than I do,
> because of her name and because she likes to do smithing and
> to butcher animals; to activities not typically thought of as
> being feminine.

I thank you, my Lady, for your continued good grace :-)  And, indeed, I'm
glad for the further information, as I probably would have stuck my foot in
my mouth again.  (I probably still will, but hopefully not too soon ;-)

> I also don't use my titles often, because I think of myself
> as a regular person and wish people to treat me as one.  I am
> not a hoity-toity person.  I may be a paragon, but I am okay!

I've noticed that the custom seemed to be that people aren't using their
titles, which is taking a bit to get used to as well.  Again, I haven't been
active in a while, and when I was playing actively it was customary for
folks to sign more formally when writing, not because they were being
hoity-toity, but simply because they were being "in persona".  I've noticed
on the lists that folks rarely use their titles, so I've followed suit, not
wishing to seem pretentious, but it does make it harder at times to render
courtesy.  Again, not that I'm doing so to be pretentious, but simply
because it has always been part of what made the game fun for me :-) But
customs change and vary from place-to-place.  I'm sure that I'll adapt.  I
appreciate your patience as I do so.

> Me:
> Oh, I'm a Paragon and I'm okay!
> I stitch all night and I cook all day!

:-)  Lovely!  Thank you for the chuckle, m'Lady.

IYS,
Celia