[Sca-cooks] question about breads

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 4 06:48:09 PDT 2005

A teaspoon or so of sugar is used in modern bread recipes to boost the
activity of the yeast insuring a good rise.  It is completely unnecessary to
the process so commercial recipes tend not to include it.

In period, breads were most commonly leavened with ale barm or a sourdough
starter.  Neither requires the kick of additional sugar.  The recipes for
bread within and shortly after period call for flour, water, leaven and salt
and are enriched with eggs, fats, malt, etc.; not sugar.  An exception to
this is rastons (restons), which is a sweet, enriched bread served as we
would a dessert.  Judging from the way the recipes are written, the sugar in
rastons is being used as a sweetner rather than a yeast booster.  I also
suspect rastons may have been prepared by the cook rather than the baker.
Honey works well as sweetner but is not as effective as a yeast booster.

One of the reasons I am certain that sugar was not used in standard breads
in period is baker's profits were limited by law.  The law applied to all
bakers whether owners of a bakery or in the employ of a household.  To use
sugar when it was not called for, would cut into an already slim profit
margin.

Bear