[Sca-cooks] question about breads

rbbtslyr rbbtslyr at comporium.net
Sat Jun 4 19:36:10 PDT 2005

When I bake regular bread I use either honey or Molassas, in it and I increase the amount over regular sugar about 25 to 30% and I get a good rise, even enough to use a bread machine, if I take and set the pan covered and let it rest over night I can get by without sugar but the crumb isn't as fine, if I chill it and give it a bit longer to work say about 12 hrs I get the crumb without sugar by using half the flour, all the water, yeast and oil. Your mileage my vary, but it does work  To me bread, beer, wine and mead seem to be half science and half art as you are dealing with a chemical formula and living critters work, so seldom does what work perfect in my setup move without a bit of tuning for perfection, by my standards ie Light crust and a perfectly dry loaf.  Then again humid SC is not a perfect spot to keep your flour unaffected by the humidity.

Kirk

Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons, for thou art Crunchy and Taste Good with Catsup or BBQ Sauce

Liberty Hill, SC Elevation 571 ft

Liberty Hill, SC (Kershaw)
Longitude: 80° 48' 7" W (-80.8019°)
Latitude: 34° 28' 41" N (34.4781°)