[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Madness

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 13:28:31 PDT 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Breakfast, at Margaret's request, was strawberry crepes, sausage and a
> poached egg.  A pound of sponge has been rising overnight, so there is bread
> to bake and simnels to test.  Fruit salad for lunch.  Maybe a mushroom
> frittata to go with it.  Spinach with cranberry and almonds dressed with
> raspberry-walnut vinegarette for supper to go with the yellowfin steaks.

You may come over to my house any day and make me breakfast or lunch anytime.  Margaret
is one lucky woman!

> And I need to do something about the ants that have found the sugar.

I had problems with ants last year.  I couldn't lay out anything because they were streaming
in on the walls though a crack in the window sash. My ants went for breakfast cereals.  They
inundated the Cheerios and Wheaties, but avoided the Honeynut Cheerios. I used Windex on the ones
already in the house, as I didn't want to poison my kitchen and therefore my food.  Windex has an
acid that kills the little buggers milliseconds after they get drenched.  It also masks the scent
trail that they follow.  After that, I went outside and used the spray ant poison around the
window and along as much of the ant trail that I could find.  I then went to the supermarket and
bought a product called "Grant's Kills Ants"  which is an ant stake, which has an attractive
poison the ant takes back to its nest and kills the rest of the colony.  I placed those around the
base of my house and near where I thought the ant colonies were.  My property still has
ants, but, knock on wood, they aren't as interested in venturing inside this year.  Although
considering how much rain we had this winter, I am surprised we have any at all.

Good luck with your papers and your ant problem!

Huette