[Sca-cooks] Recipe requests

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 11 15:04:29 PDT 2005

> 1. My standard Bread dough is yeast, salt, flour, water.... and just a
> touch of sugar...any stadanrd period recipes like that floating around?

Flour, water, salt, and yeast.  No sugar to start the yeast, because it was
already active.  It's an Elizabethan manchet recipe and its in the
Florilegium.

> 2. Again...brain dead ...exams...corbread...not period, due to lack of
> corn in early Europe?

Not prior to the 16th Century.  Maize was used for bread in Europe during
the latter half of the 16th Century, but there are no recipes and I doubt it
was much like what we refer to as cornbread.

Bear