[Sca-cooks] Introductions.. And Meat Pies

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 21:00:17 PDT 2005

>Vegetarian suet, huh? I wonder how that would work as the fat for
>sausages.  At our next local event, there's a bake sale fundraiser (to
>raise money to purchase loaner armor), and if I can work it out, I
>thought to offer sausages, with 1 minor stumbling block being a few
>people in the barony who don't/won't do pork...
>
>--maire, surfacing from a pile of paperwork and laundry....

I had a problem making sausages for people who don't eat pork: and
that was finding affordable non-pork casings. Pork casings are what
are used for most (if not all) of the commercial chicken and turkey
sausages i've seen.

I found lamb casings at the halal market, but it was enough for *50*
pounds of meat, and i was only using 15 lbs. And this block of
casings cost $40 or so...

I ended up just shaping the ground seasoned meat into sausages shapes
and baking them... loses the succulent quality of a sausage, but
tasted excellent. (actually i've done this twice, once with an
Andalusian recipe and once with a Roman recipe, but substituting lamb
for pork)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita