[Sca-cooks] Suet (Was Introductions..)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 15 21:42:52 PDT 2005

>So tell me m'lords and ladies, what *DOES* happen to suet when cooked, and
>what is its purpose in a dish?  I have to admit that while it doesn't sound
>appetizing, neither does raw flour so thats not necessarily an indication.

If you want to experiment first hand, then go to your butcher and ask for a
small piece of suet.  Suet is the hard interior, very white, pieces "fat"
that you see on certain cuts of beef, as opposed to the exterior tyoes of
'thin' fats that run mostly on the exterior of the meat.  For instance,
birds will eat the suet, but, unless they are preditor birds, they will not
eat fat unless they are starving or it is silently put in thier food supply.
  When cooking a piece of meat, it is important to know the ration of suet
to fat at the fat will cook faster and the suet, if cooked at the same
temperature in a small cut of meat will be mostly undone (for rare or
med-rare).  When cooking a large roast, one would cut off much of the
exterior fat, but not all, to preserve the exterior from becoming too dry
before the interior lard fat comes to the "melt" point.  Which makes this
lecture more clear, and you will see after your "experiment".  Fat spits and
spats, lard melts.  And there is the answer.
Olwen who should be in bed by now.