[Sca-cooks] Question & Artemisian Iron Chef

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 03:12:27 PDT 2005

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, coconuts are mentioned in Indian documents BCE.  Marco
Polo encountered them in Java and Nicobar in the 13th century.  Vasco da Gama found them growing
on an island off of Mozambique in 1497/98. "It seems likely that Arab traders had been
responsible, much earlier, for introducing it to East Africa."

Huette