[Sca-cooks] Sweet or Savoury breakfast?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 21:54:26 PDT 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Pat wrote:

> I seem to be having a good day today, woke up and got out of bed
> without too much pain, very little dizzyness, and no nausea.  So I
> cooked breakfast for Mama and me:  scratch biscuits, bacon, grits,
> eggs, several kinds of cheeses, and canteloupe.  Got to thinking.
> Big breakfasts at our house have traditionally been savoury, with
> lots of proteins and fats, but I know a lot of people who revel in
> Sweets for breakfast:  pancakes, waffles, sweet cereals...
> What is your preference?

Oh, cold mu shu pork. My son prefers fried dumplings, which is much
less weird inasmuch as at least Chinese people eat these for
breakfast, so he's halfway there. We usually keep a supply of decent-
quality frozen ones. His absolute favorite are the round "juicy" meat
buns that are usually steamed, only he prefers them fried like
potstickers.

But a real Sunday-type breakfast is more likely to be eggs, bacon,
and sausage, with home-made biscuits or scones, maybe cornmeal
pancakes with blueberries. The preferred bacon is back or loin bacon,
sold commercially around here as "Irish bacon". Most American
versions of "Canadian Bacon" seem to be this same product, or the eye
thereof, rolled into a sausage shape before slicing.

When we have guests there seem to be very frequent requests for
homemade biscuits and sausage gravy (given where we live and my
heritage, this is kind of odd). I like this, too, but there's also a
great deal to be said for real porridge (salt only, for me) followed
by an egg and some bacon or kipper.

Very occasionally, I'll make what was the festive breakfast for my
mom's childhood, courtesy of my German grandmother, which is spoon-
dropped dumplings of something between a short dough and a thick
batter, steamed in a tightly-sealed pot over stewed fruit like plums,
peaches, or berries. Served burn-your-mouth hot, with the fruit and
some sour cream.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782