[Sca-cooks] Sweet or Savoury breakfast?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 18 00:03:04 PDT 2005

  Margaret FitzWilliam mentioned:
> When we were in England, the "traditional English breakfast" was a
> wonderful thing--cereal, toast, bacon, eggs, sometimes sausage, fried
> tomatoes, fried mushrooms, and tea. Mmmmm.

Hmmm. So, where did the term "Continental Breakfast", meaning a simple
pastry and maybe some juice, come from? I always thought that this
referred to Europe, including England. But maybe this term came about
in comparing English rather than American breakfasts to the ones in the
rest of Europe?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas