[Sca-cooks] Sweet or Savoury breakfast?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jun 18 05:15:49 PDT 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 3:03 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>  Margaret FitzWilliam mentioned:
>
>> When we were in England, the "traditional English breakfast" was a
>> wonderful thing--cereal, toast, bacon, eggs, sometimes sausage, fried
>> tomatoes, fried mushrooms, and tea. Mmmmm.
>>

> Hmmm. So, where did the term "Continental Breakfast", meaning a
> simple pastry and maybe some juice, come from? I always thought
> that this referred to Europe, including England. But maybe this
> term came about in comparing English rather than American
> breakfasts to the ones in the rest of Europe?

Nah, "The Continent", and by extension, a "continental breakfast"
refers to traditions of the countries of the European mainland, and
most especially those where a Romance language is spoken. So,
primarily, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. I mean, Germany is
certainly on the Continent, but they don't normally go the demitasse-
and-croissant route.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782