[Sca-cooks] Seasoning a Potjie

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jun 18 09:18:55 PDT 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Pat wrote:

> Never tried that one.  How about a large barbecue grill?  Phlip's
> forge sounds good.  Problem with almost any thing that applies heat
> in a limited area (like the paint stripper) won't get an even season.

That's true. But my suspicion is that this could still be true of
almost any method used. Gee, I didn't catch where in the country the
original poster is, but if it's someplace that gets hot and sunny,
they might think about rubbing the pot down with oil and leaving it
out in the sun for several hours to start the process. If nothing
else, it would probably provide relatively even heating. That might
conceivably provide enough of a minimal seasoning to think about
finishing the process through actual use with a cooked product
designed not to stick too badly, like a thinnish but slightly fatty
stew, maybe something like lamb or veal breast.

After all, it's probably true that in the end, what you do to keep a
well-seasoned pot maintained is at least as important as the original
seasoning, since proper use increases the seasoning on the pot.

Adamantius, who doesn't have a whacking great iron pot, but who owns
and uses a lot of cast iron and carbon steel pans...

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04