[Sca-cooks] "Trial By Fire" Ad (cooking competition!)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jun 20 22:36:09 PDT 2005

Last I checked, Bright Hills in on the East Coast, more or less
(certainly that time zone), which hardly makes it MidRealm.  And I'm in
Artemisia, where we certainly have our quirky traditions, but also a
fair modicum of laissez-faire-ness about the whole "define SCA time
period" conundrum, which mostly reminds me of the all-night arguments
about The Meaning of Life I had in college.  Interesting, but of
ultimately little consequence.
So I really don't "get" your tetchiness about someone's rules for a
competition that probably doesn't come near to applying to you.  Is it a
particular sticking point (not made exactly clear, but perhaps assumable
from the irascible tone of voice), or are you just using this as a
soap-box from which to speak about your particular version of what is,
or isn't "period?" Because really, no matter how many times I've gone
back and re-read Olwen's post, I still don't find anything in there that
states that the time period the SCA covers is 650-1650, or any other
combination of dates, however silly or serious.  650-1650 is merely the
dates established *for this contest!*
--Maire,straight out of 14th c. Ireland, who doesn't wear 17th c., and
who doesn't know what a zipper is, although she's seen some mighty
strange clothing customs in this new land....