[Sca-cooks] question of yields

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 22 19:57:44 PDT 2005

Gwen Cat wrote:

>  How much actual (boneless) meat can I expect to get from 1lb of bone
>  in skin on chicken breasts. No, I dont need the bones for broth, but
>  at the moment the price difference is $1 per lb on bone in, $1.99 lb
>  for boneless, and if the yield is enough better than 50% I will make
>  the effort even though time is short.

I have a file which is part of the USDA's "Food Buying Guide for Child
Nutrition Programs".  You can download it in PDF format at:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources/foodbuyingguide.html#

The figure for chicken breasts vary if ribs or back are attached, but
one pound of raw chicken breasts will yield between .40 and .56 lb of
cooked, skinless meat.

>  Also, how much useful meat on a 'whole' Boston butt pork shoulder
>  roast, and how big is a whole likely to be.

The same file does not give info on a whole roast, but the yield from
each pound of raw roast *with bone* is .52 lb cooked, trimmed lean meat.

Brighid, hoping this post is sufficiently trimmed and lean

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net