[Sca-cooks] Somewhat OT: Looking for Canadian on-line suppliers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 23:36:59 PDT 2005

Petru mentioned:
> I've recently developed an interest in period pharmaceutics, and while
> I'm eager
> to try making a few balms, oils and pills (not sure about testing them,
> though!)
> I find a few ingredients to be... er... hard to get by.

There are various period recipes for these in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES and the PERSONAL CARE sections of the Florilegium.

> So I'm turning toward your collective wisdom to recommend a good source
> for opopanax, sandalwood, styrax, amber, mastic, etc, etc, etc...

Are you wanting the sandalwood for perfumes or to eat? There are two
different types. The sandalwood for food coloring is also called
sauders and has little aroma.

There are a number of spice merchants given in this file:
merch-spices-msg  (32K)  9/19/04    Spice merchants. Reviews and
recommendations

For some info on mastic, although I'm not sure there are any merchants
mentioned, you might want to look at this file:
gums-resins-msg   (32K)  8/31/03    Period use of plant gums and
resins. Myrrh,
                                        mastic, frankincense, camphor.

I've bought frankincense from the Pepperer's Guild at Pennsic. They do
mail order as well, but I can't remember if they carry mastic or not.

For amber, I would take a look at this file in the NORSE section. There
is a lot of fake amber being sold out there composed of amber dust
melded together. I don't know if this would work for you or not. On the
otherhand if you can find someone who has some of this amber dust you
might be able to purchase it cheaper than chunks of amber.
amber-buying-art  (27K) 12/30/96    How to buy amber. How to detect
fake amber.

I'm not sure what "opopanax" and "styrax" are.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com