[Sca-cooks] Books

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 26 00:42:05 PDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2005 07:55 schrieb Brandon Withey:
> Alright...
>
> I've been lookin', and tumblin', and just general searching.  And I have to
> ask, how do you all FIND these books?  Or any mention of their existance?
> The translated Book of Good Food I was kindly supplied the link to.  But
> the rest of these sound like the Historical Chefs Holy Grail, frequently
> mentioned but rarely seen.
>
> So I don't have to keep mooching off of all your hard work, perhaps a few
> tips on how to find out about these texts existing and how to find others
> of their type?

A few ideas that I think can be useful:

- try booksearch websites like bookfinder, bookbutler or abebooks with
incomplete info (only titles or authors). they will give you back listings of
partial matches and if the book you are looking for is among them, you will
get the full citation.

- try the search function of your local college library catalogue and whateer
regional or national databases they have access to. I don't klnow how the
quality of these is in the US, but here in Germany, keywords are a
hit-and-miss affair (I recall with glee coming across a book about the rise
of serfdom in early 17th century Moscow under the keywords 'slavery, Soviet
Union'). So typing in 'cooking, history' may or may not get you anywhere.

- personally, I find the 'Tarzan' method (from one tree to the next tree to
the next tree...) the most rewarding. Get yourself a book on historical
cookery. Go through the bibliography with a textmarker and highlight the ones
you think you will want. Get those. Go through their bibliographies with a
textmarker... My starting point was the bibliography of Trude Ehlert 'Kochen
im Mittelalter', and it led me to almost all standard works. The one in Pleyn
Delit is also a good one, and you will want that book anyway.

And finally, ask people here. Given the exotic nature of our interest, there
are lots of books out there that only a few people will be aware of. Here is
where they spread the wisdom.

YIS

Giano