[Sca-cooks] Books

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jun 26 09:22:17 PDT 2005

At 10:55 PM 6/25/2005, you wrote:
>Alright...
>
>I've been lookin', and tumblin', and just general searching.  And I have
>to ask, how do you all FIND these books?  Or any mention of their existance?
>The translated Book of Good Food I was kindly supplied the link to.  But
>the rest of these sound like the Historical Chefs Holy Grail, frequently
>mentioned but rarely seen.
>
>So I don't have to keep mooching off of all your hard work, perhaps a few
>tips on how to find out about these texts existing and how to find others
>of their type?

Others have given ideas for bibliographies- once you have that, you need to
make friends with your local reference/ILL librarians!

Some stuff is also online. Some places to start are:

<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html>Medieval/Renaissance Food Homepage
         A treasure-trove of links!

<http://www.godecookery.com/>GodeCookery.Com
         Master Huen's work online

<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_index.html>Cariadoc's
Miscellany: Recipe Alphabetical Index
         and
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm>A
Miscellany: PDF Version

<http://www.coquinaria.nl/kooktekst/Edelikespijse1.htm>Edition of "Wel ende
edlike spise", a medieval Dutch cookbook.

<http://www.medievalcookery.com/index.htm>Medieval Cookery

That should give you a start!

'Lainie