[Sca-cooks] The Welsers

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 15:09:18 PDT 2005

--- Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 27. Juni 2005 19:05 schrieb Huette von Ahrens:
> > --- Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you read German? If so, get Trude Ehlert: Das Kochbuch des
> > > Mittelalters. The text is rather basic, but she is among Germany's
> > > leading experts and the bibliography is outstanding.
> > >
> > > As to cookbooks, the Buoch von Guoter Spise (late 14th century), Meister
> > > Eberhard (mid-15th century), the Königsberg MS (late 15th cent) and the
> > > Inntalkochbuch (laste 15th/early 16th cent) are available in English
> > > translation. The Rheinfränkisches Kochbuch (mid 15th), Meister Hans
> > > (mid-15th), the various Munich manuscript fragments (mid-15th to 16th),
> > > the Mondseer Kochbuch and the Wolfenbüttel MS have also been published
> > > and rendered in modern German. I'm currently working on a translation of
> > > the Wolfenbüttel MS.
> > >
> > > YIS
> > >
> > > Giano
> >
> > Giano!
> >
> > Where are the English translations located or published for Meister
> > Eberhard, the Konigsberg MS and the Inntalkochbuch?  I have never heard or
> > seen them published or available on-line in English.
> >
> > Huette, who is working on Philippine Welser's Kochbuch.
>
> I thought they were in the Florilegium by now.

Not that I have seen, and I just checked a couple of seconds ago.

I also gave them to others to
> web earlier but nothing seems to have come of it. That probably means right
> now, available from me, and if anyone wants to give them a permanent home
> I'kll be happy to provide them (I have no time to keep a website, pets are
> always more trouble than people think)

I would love to have copies, but I have no website either.

As for pets, I have a California Dessert Tortoise.  Very easy pet to have.  Keep him fed, watered
and give occasional attention and he is very happy for six months.  The other six months he is
hybernating.  Nothing high maintenance about him.  He even comes when he is called.

> Philippine Welser, eh? Nothing like sibling rivalry :)

I thought they were cousins.  Philippine was the more flamboyant.  She secretly married Archduke
Ferdinand, second son of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand I.  I can find a lot of information about
her in English, but nothing about Sabina's life, in English.  I have recently received my copy of
"Die Welser", which has a chapter on Sabina and Philippine in it.  In my Copious Spare Time, I am
going to have to translate it into English, just to find out anything about Sabina.

Huette