[Sca-cooks] FW: A.Word.A.Day--bibacious

Joanne Clyde jmknoppe at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:43:26 PST 2005

Word for the day!

I'm sure many of us know someone who is bibacious!

Geertruyt
who is hoping that no one is upset that I'm forwarding this to the cooks
list.

From: Wordsmith <wsmith at wordsmith.org>

bibacious (by-BAY-shuhs) adjective

    Overly fond of drinking.

[From Latin bibere (to drink).]

   "Seriously though folks, there are certain caveats that I have
    learned from standing before both overly sober and overly bibacious
    audiences."
    Ed Harvey; Media musings; Advertising/Communications Times
    (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania); Nov 2001.

   "Banfield's bibacious drongo was not so much flushed as drunk,
    having gorged itself on the nectar of a native melaleuca or
    paperbark tree."
    Mark Chipperfield; Drunken Drongos And Suntanned Soap Stars;
    The Daily Telegraph (London, UK): Mar 27, 2004.

This week's theme: words related to eating and drinking.
Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/bibacious.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/bibacious.ram