[Sca-cooks] Pumpkins?

Skip Engle skipengle at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 06:15:18 PST 2005

Hello all, I am new to this list so I'm sure this has been discussed
before but I can't find a good answer for my question.  In reading a
number of 14th century recipes I have found references to using
pumpkins.  I have always thought of pumpkins as a new world gourd so I
assume that they are using the word to describe some other gourd.  What
might be the closest modern approximation to this old world gourd?
    Also, I am doing a feast in April and have been hunting for a recipe
that I know I once saw but now can find no sign of.(don't you just hate
that) The recipe was for carrot pudding.  It was a slightly sweet dish.
If anyone has any period recipes for such a pudding I would be most
grateful for the sharing.  My feast is being done on a theme of 14th
century France.
    Thanks in advance for all the help.

Haukr Myrkjarten