[Sca-cooks] Pumpkins?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 4 12:53:44 PST 2005

What you have with pumpkin is the word being transferred from one plant to
another.  The Old World gourds are members of genus Langenaria which include
calabashes, dipper, bottle and basket gourds.  When Europeans encountered
the New World squashes, they used the names of the similar familiar plants.
The Old World gourds are available, although they may be hard to find at the
market.

Bear