[Sca-cooks] distilling wine

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 11 21:26:25 PST 2005

Vincenzo mentioned:
> Over 2,000 years ago, the Greeks knew of distillation,
> but were unable to get alcohol from wine because they
> brought the liquid to a boil too rapidly.

Oh? is this because you want to boil off the alcohol at a lower
temperature than 212 degrees F, leaving the water behind and if you
boil it too fast (too hot?) you get a mixture of water and the other
volatiles?

> Even though L. Sprague deCamp's "Lest Darkness Fall"
> had a solution to that question, we don't allow that
> written work to be counted as 'documentation'.

Thank you. I hadn't heard of this book before. It sounds interesting
but unless I find other books on Amazon or one of their affiliates I
could spend more for shipping that the book. So, I'll have to put it on
my list to look for at my local used book stores.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com