[Sca-cooks] distilling wine

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Mar 12 01:51:39 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Vincenzo mentioned:
> > Over 2,000 years ago, the Greeks knew of distillation,
> > but were unable to get alcohol from wine because they
> > brought the liquid to a boil too rapidly.
>
> Oh? is this because you want to boil off the alcohol at
> a lower temperature than 212 degrees F, leaving the water
> behind and if you boil it too fast (too hot?) you get a
> mixture of water and the other volatiles?

Right ... once you get the temperature above the b.p. of
the alcohol, you get a mix of water and alcohol in the
distalite ... you get out everything that you put in.

When they were experimenting, the might have known that
bringing the liquid to a boil caused the separation -- and
always did the test that way ... but could never realize
that the alcohol boiled out at a lower temperature.

> > Even though L. Sprague deCamp's "Lest Darkness Fall"
> > had a solution to that question, we don't allow that
> > written work to be counted as 'documentation'.
>
> Thank you. I hadn't heard of this book before. It sounds
> interesting but unless I find other books on Amazon or
> one of their affiliates I could spend more for shipping
> that the book. So, I'll have to put it on my list to look
> for at my local used book stores.

Yes ... but also ...

On Abe Books,  http://www.abebooks.com
305 copies starting at $1.00

On Alibris, http://www.alibris.com
Title: lest darkness fall (245 available) $2.95 and up.

> Stefan

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD