[Sca-cooks] Turtle Soup, was: (LONG!) Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Sun Mar 13 18:30:33 PST 2005

> Medieval turtle soup? Recipe?

There are two recipes for turtles in the 'Ouverture de Cuisine'... (which has
been webbed by Thorvald - my apologies, I don't have the URL handy, since I'm
working from a printed copy). One of them can be seen as a turtle soup, stew,
or turtle in broth... I haven't obviously experimented on it yet.

"Prennez la tortue, & couppez la teste,
<<131>>
& la laissez mourir, puis la mettez
boulir si longuement que vous pouuez
tirer l'escaille arriere de la chair: puis
vous osterez toute la peau que vous
trouuerez, & prennez la chair & les
oeufs s'il y en a, & la mettez esteuuer
auec bon bouillon, & mettez vn peu de
fleur de muscade, vn peu de poiure &
rosmarin, mariolaine, mente & beurre
fresche, & sel, & vin blanc ou verius,
& vn citron fresche par tranches, & le
laissez bien estuuer ainsi, & seruez."

> Where would you get the right turtles?

I haven't figured that part out yet... I believe turtles are now protected in
France (I don't know about the rest of Europe) and I haven't started to look
around here to see what's available.

Petru