[Sca-cooks] OT: Toysan, was Sugar beets

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 13:59:47 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/21/05 4:10:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:

Oh, I've  seen, probably, thousands of them. It's things like dim-sum houses
purporting  to employ a Hong Kong style where sugar as a seasoning/flavoring
seems to be  particularly prevalent. Toysan cookery (which is much of what we
eat at home,  and also a subset of "Cantonese" cookery, albeit a lesser-known
subset, even  though there was a time when most Chinese immigrants in the US
were from  Toysan) is more likely to contain a multitude of salted ingredients,
such as  chopped salt fish, salt ham, salt-preserved radish, turnips or
mustard knobs,  etc. That's in addition to the various salty fermented black beans,
brown bean  pastes, soy sauce, etc.

Such a resource you would have been back in the days when I had a  block full
of Chinese neighbors, who kept leaving me fresh veggies, and I had to  give
myself crash courses in WinterMelon 101, etc.

Elianne