[Sca-cooks] Shopping Orgasm

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 19:49:11 PST 2005

Oh,

Muh

Gawd.

I was just squealing with joy when i went into the produce section of
the glorious Berkeley Bowl supermarket this evening.

FRESH green chickpeas!

Fresh favas (well, they've had them before, but still, just what i needed)

More different kinds of mushrooms than i've ever seen in one place
before - i swear they have even more than they used to.

Bunches of lovely young carrots - orange ones (of course), yellow
ones, and i bought white ones. I know they aren't really skirrets -
just backwards bred from orange ones - but at least they look right.

More different kinds of citrus fruits than they've ever had before
(although, alas, still no jeruk nipis or "kaffir" limes). Think of
your usual supermarket fresh produce case. Now think of two of them.
Now fill those two with nothing but different kinds of citrus fruits.
One whole side is different kinds of oranges and tangerines. The
other side was grapefruits, lemons, and lime, including "Persian
lemons" and "Palestinian limes". Seville oranges are in - i'm going
back after Crown Tourney this weekend to buy some - squeeze and
freeze the juice, and maybe i'll get over my dislike of working with
sugar and make some candied peel.

There were fewer different kinds of eggplants than usual, but it
could be the season or the weather - there were only about 6
different kinds and none of the tiny green or white ones that look
like eggs.

Anyway, i got what i needed for my 14th century Baghdadi Lenten
dishes... I think i'll make the fish with tahini sauce tonight.

--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita