[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 22, Issue 68/KKK Story!!

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 17:51:22 PST 2005

Thank you!! I don't know when I've laughed so hard
before!!
I can just imagine such an encounter!! My own
grandmother, Margaret O'Sullivan had a similiar story
out on the plains of western Iowa in the 20s!!
Course she was not only a papist, but a 'dirty Indian'
too, married to a mick like me granddad you can be
sure there was talk in the village of Corning!!

But cha know them injun wimin can lick your hide with
a barrel stave like you've not had it before!!

My grandmother found a bunch of rascal trying to
'adopt' her prize hogs into the neighbors field and
then claim ownership, or at least vagranty??
Well, the ole Injun heard the least sound, came out to
investigate and scared them to death with a couple of
war whoops and the sight of herself busting out of the
bushes wielding a broken barrel stave, laying about
her like Custer's nightmare!!

Your story brought back at least some humor of those
dark days!

Course its' still around, religious bigotry, esp. anti
catholicism is still the number one accepted prejudice
in America.

 ------------------------------

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:39:51 -0500
> From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> 	<adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
> Subject: Tangent: was, RE: [Sca-cooks] semi-topical:
> Good Friday
> 	dinner?
> On the flipside of peculiar behavior, I am reminded
> of the tale of
> (puts on best W.C. Fields voice, although I have no
> doubt this story
> is true) the time my dear mother's childhood home
> was visited by the
> kind gentlemen of the Ku Klux Klan, looking, as
> Headley Lamarr might
> say, to stamp out runaway decency in Oceanside, Long
> Island. It seems
> that in Oceanside in the 1920's, a major industry
> was fishing and
> clam-digging, and these folks didn't get out much,
> and their pool of
> eligible marriage partners was understandably small.
> Suffice it to
> say that, while being a rural clam-digger (it was
> rural then, anyway)
> by no means precludes intelligence, on this
> particular occasion it
> doesn't seem to have naturally selected the genes
> for it. Do a Web
> search for Jewish legends of the village/town of
> Chelm and you'll get
> the idea. In case it matters, my mom's family wasn't
> from there;
> they'd moved in from New Jersey in 1921 or so...
>
> In any case, it seems some of the good men of
> Oceanside's bivalve
> harvesting industry saw fit to fight the growing
> threat to the
> American way of life by forming a local band of
> Knights of the Ku
> Klux Klan, and looking around, saw no one to whom
> they might express
> their all-consuming patriotism, minority groups of
> all kinds being in
> the extreme minority. Luckily, one of them
> remembered a Catholic
> family living nearby, one of highly suspicious
> Irish/German-American
> lineage, so that evening, a visit was arranged to
> the home of this
> family, who would no doubt be busy grazing papal
> bulls in the back
> meadow, worshipping saints, doing a fine business in
> selling plenary
> indulgences, voting for Al Smith, and generally
> being Catholic.
>
> It was apparently a cool, rainy evening, and it
> seems they had a
> little trouble getting and keeping the cross lit.
> There was some
> commotion over that, and, the father of the family
> being absorbed in
> Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khayyam, the lady
> of the house went
> out to see what all the fuss was about. It seems
> there were seven or
> eight gentlemen in bedsheets trying to start a
> badly-laid campfire
> [...]

www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"