[Sca-cooks] Norwegian cooking show

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 20:05:18 PST 2005

Miriam replied to me with:
> The cook talks about Norwegian history--from the ancient to the modern
> not just the Viking period, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the
> show.  Plus I want to steal his traveling kitchen set-up, because it
> looks so nice and clean and portable.  Big grin, so now my husband Eoin
> knows exactly what I want him to build.  Even bigger grin!

Well, while most of these described in this file are not likely to be
as sumptuous as a traveling kitchen put together with the budget of a
cooking show, you might find some of the comments in this file of
interest:
camp-kitchens-msg (29K)  2/12/02    Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-kitchens-msg.html

> He goes over traditional recipes using period ingredients plus modern
> ones using ingredients from all over the world.  They had a whole
> episode on salt cured and smoked fishes that we just adored plus a
> snippet in one of the shows that was truly horrifying about fermented
> trout that was supposed to taste like some kind of nasty cheese.  It
> made lutefisk (sp?) sound absolutely edible.

Well, we've discussed several lutefisk and lutefisk-like fermented fish
recipes before. Yes, many of these appear to require an acquired taste.
As does the fermented butter of Iceland.
fd-Iceland-msg    (84K)  1/15/03    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Iceland-msg.html
stockfish-msg     (98K) 10/15/04    Period preserved fish. Dried,
smoked and
                                        salted fish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stockfish-msg.html

Stefan