[Sca-cooks] Our Easter dinner

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 28 00:25:30 PST 2005

Margali had a recipe she wanted to try, something she was supposed to test
from Cook's Illustrated, and for one reason and another, we couldn't do it
exactly the way CI wanted us to do it, so instead I improvised. I found it
quite interesting, because it was spicy enough to be tasty for me, but
didn't burn Margali out. It also included boneless shicless chicken, and
this is the first recipe I've found that I actually liked BS chicken in, so
I figured I'd tell you what I did, as opposed to what the recipe actually
required.

Chicken Fajitas

Juice of 3 small limes (1/4 c, in the recipe)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 largish garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 red jalepeno chile, seeded and minced
1 tsp kosher salt
3 good shakes of coarse ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (we used thighs- the recipe calls for
breasts).

Flour tortillas
Corn tortillas
Guacamole
Salsa
Sour cream
Grated sharp cheddar

Refried beans

Mix the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, Worchestershire, sugar, chile, salt
and ground pepper well. Flatten the chicken to 1/2 inch thick, and put the
chicken in a plastic bag with the marinade. Let sit in the fridge for a few
hours, turning now and again, as you think of it.

The original recipe called for the chicken to be grilled, but the weather
determined that we weren't going to be cooking outside, so instead I put all
the chicken and marinade in a frying pan, and cooked until it was cooked
through, turning occasionally. When it was cooked, I removed the chicken and
sliced it inti 1/2 inch strips (in so far as that was possible) and placed
in a bowl with the pan juices.

While the chicken was cooking, I prepped the tortillas- just heated them,
individually, in a dry frying pan, and kept warm in a towel lined bowl.
Don't overcook them, particularly the flour tortillas- you want them soft
enough so you can fold them without breaking them.

When the chicken was done and sliced, filled the tortillas with the chicken,
guacamole, etc. Served the refried beans on the side.

Refried beans, the lazy way ;-)

50/50 mix of dried kidney and pinto beans. Soak overnight in lots of water-
if you're concerned about excessive gas, a good dollop of baking soda while
they're soaking will minimize the problem. Drain and rinse well,
particularly if you've used the baking soda- you don't want that flavor to
remain. Using fresh water, bring to a boill, and let simmer for several
hours, adding water as necessary, until tender enough to mash. When they're
close to ready, simmer down until there's a minimum of water, Mash them, and
add a stick of butter, at least- more butter is better, as long as you don't
add so much that it seperates. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for
at least another hour, and serve.

Not a very difficult meal, and very tasty.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.