[Sca-cooks] Aqras Mukallala

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 28 22:30:05 PST 2005

Huette commented:
> That reminds me of the time I was redacting
> the recipe for Aqras Mukallala which called
> for sesame oil.  I didn't have any on hand, so
> I went to the store and bought some.  I made
> up the recipe and took it to the potluck.  When
> I received complements on having such a spicey
> sweet bread, I had to look at my ingredients
> and discovered that I had purchased sesame oil
> with pepper in it, instead of plain sesame oil.
Would this have been a roasted or a plain sesame oil? I seem to
remember comments on this list that what you wanted for medieval Middle
Eastern recipes was the non-roasted stuff, which was harder to find,
and I think my searching for it bore this out.

Can you please post the recipe for this Aqras Mukallala? It sounds like
it might be interesting, whether it is period or not.  Have you tried
it since that time using the plain sesame oil rather than the spiced
stuff?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------