[Sca-cooks] Period Gourds

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:30:00 PST 2005

Greetings,

We have in the past discussed what the actual period gourds that would
have been used in the recipies for gourds and their lack of
availablity.

I am uncertain whether the conclusion was reached on this list or
elsewhere - but I believe that the gourd that would have been used is
commonly known as the Chinese Bottle Gourd.

Many have lamented it's lack of availability here in the US, so I
thought I would post my finding  here. Apparantly it is relatively
easy to grow! I found a source for seeds in my garden planning and if
anyone else might desire to grow them here is the link:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergreenseeds/calgouropo.html

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva