[Sca-cooks] Period Gourds

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 30 18:52:15 PST 2005

Rather than the Chinese Bottle Gourd, I would suggest the Cucuzzi or White
Flower Gourd.

http://onaleeseeds.scifstore.com/module/store/viewentry/8138/

The shapesof gourds I have seen pictured in period sources are dippers,
cylindricals, and basket (bushel).  The following site provides some
pictures (not as good as I would like, but useable).

http://www.gourdfarmer.com/

For a little artistic look at some of the gourds, try this site discussing
the botanical bounty of Caravagio.  The illustrations are not all by
Caravagio, but the painters are identified in the text.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/caravaggio/caravaggio_l.html

A little more help identifying gourds and squashes:

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1180.htm

Bear