[Sca-cooks] Re: 16th cent spanish desserts?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 1 08:43:32 PST 2005

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> can anyone direct me to some recipes for 16th cent spanish desserts?
> there's a competition at a local event, and 16th cent spain is the theme.
>
> thanks
>
> cailte

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.text
Most of the sweet dishes are in recipes 126-141.

Various recipes I've translated from Granado (1599) are in the
Florilegium, though in an assortment of files.  This Google search
should help:
http://www.google.com/search?q=brighid+granado+sugar+OR+honey+site:florilegium.org
Many of the recipes were plagiarized from Scappi (Italian), but
plagiarism was the norm for period cookbooks.  Also, there is a lot of
overlap between Spanish, Catalan, and Italian cuisines.

Karen Larsdatter's translation of the "Manual de Mujeres" is here:
http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/manual.htm
It's mostly medicinal and cosmetic recipes, but there are some sweets in it.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net