[Sca-cooks] white ginger

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Mar 4 19:28:01 PST 2005

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Samrah wrote:
> >  I have a friend not on this list who had a question about "white
> >  ginger" as mentioned in the Platina. Apparently the recipe said
> >  something to the order of "use as much as you can afford". The
> >  translation said "white ginger", but her take on the Latin (she's
> >  had a bit) is that it might have been the white parts of the ginger.
> >
> >  Anybody have any ideas on this one?  Is there a white ginger plant
> >  as opposed to a regular ginger plant?
>
> I think that sometimes "white" does not mean the color white, but
> "clean"... I can't guarantee that's so in this case, but something
> to keep in mind.
>
> Drakey wrote:
> >  Powdered and dried Galingale is white (with a vague oyster grey
> >  tinge).  Could that be what Platina is referring to?
>
> I suppose it could be, but the powdered galangal i have used for 30
> years is pale tan or pale yellowish-beige - and i've used more than
> one source.
>
> Let me add, for those who have not tasted galangal, that despite what
> dozens of writers, professional and amateur, have said, galangal does
> NOT taste like ginger, and ginger is NOT a suitable substitute for it.

That is so true, you could carve your words in stone.

Where oh where do they get such a strange idea?

Is there just one book on herbs and spices and all of those ____________
(fill in the blank) are copying it but claiming it's their own research?

And let me add, for those who have not tasted galangal, get ready for a
unique experience.

> Urtatim, formerly Anahita

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

"His golden locks Time hath to silver turned"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD