[Sca-cooks] white ginger

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 18:29:42 PST 2005

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Let me add, for those who have not tasted galangal, that despite what
> dozens of writers, professional and amateur, have said, galangal does
> NOT taste like ginger, and ginger is NOT a suitable substitute for it.

Right you are.  The two are in the same family of rhizomes, and that's where the similarities
stop, as far as I'm concerned.  However, I feel compelled to contribute this opinion, as well...
If you cannot get fresh galingal, omit it completely.  The dried or powdered form is a very poor
substitute for fresh galingal.  As a matter of opinion (not fact), they do not taste anything
alike.

William de Grandfort

Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.