[Sca-cooks] white ginger

JP Coane coane at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 10:20:02 PST 2005

William de Grandfort,

Is this a modern view of the use of galingale? Fresh is best - I agree, but
it has nothing to do with period cooking. I have references from period that
cannel may be kept up to 20 years. What is modern in practice and taste must
serve as a guide to recreating the past because that is what WE (in the
present)know. Our 'knowledge' must be tempered by what we read and
understand of history. History tells use that galingale was used in spice
powders, that means it was dried - end of story.

The point of period cooking is to recreate what once was with the tools,
spices, and methods of the era. I am a good modern cook. I love fresh
berries, veggies, fish, and carefully aged beef. None of these things play
into a period recipe. In period, it was either in season, preserved or
absent - Take your pick. No mass transit, no over night flights, not
refrigerated trucks - people had feet, horses, and ships with sails for
transportation. Slow transportation equals limited distribution radius.

Now having said that - I encourage everyone to taste the different forms
that spices take such as fresh, dried, pickled, candied, or whatever. But
for period cooking it is what is documentable (or logically deduced from the
archeological record) that governs what can be recreated. If it did not
exist in period, even if the ingredients did, then it can not be recreated.

Just my two cents worth,
Christopher