[Sca-cooks] Sideboards....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 5 21:08:28 PST 2005

Ru asked:
> What kids of things do you put out on sideboards/dayboards?
>
> So many places do cheese and hard boiled eggs and bread and not a lot
> else and I am looking for some better ideas but hopefully
> less-expensive ones.

More elaborate dayboards have been served and mentioned here. In
particular, by Jadwiga.

> My standards are a beef-barley soup (loosely base on a quote from
> Platina.  In a section on Groats he says "From groats, rice and pearl
> barley he (Celsus) says the best broths and gruels are made".   I also
> try to put out a vegetarian soup as well.  Platina also has a nice
> Broad Bean soup.

These can work, although in some dayboards folks sometimes avoid soups
because they are more difficult for folks to "grab and go". Sometimes
finger foods are preferred.

> I'm not tied to an area or writer however.  Anywhere/time is fine.  My
> key is to make it tasty, warm, easy and relatively inexpensive.
You might be interested in these Florilegium files:
dayboards-msg     (34K)  2/19/05    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/dayboards-msg.html
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Daybrd-Advent-art.html
finger-fd-fst-art (13K)  9/15/98    A light supper feast using finger
foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/finger-fd-fst-art.html
finger-foods-msg  (24K)  9/ 2/02    Ideas for finger foods at feasts
and events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/finger-foods-msg.html

Stefan
--------