[Sca-cooks] anthimus

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Mar 6 12:14:45 PST 2005

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>question: I seem to remember from discussion on this list in the past
>that people in our period might not have been familiar with Anthimus,
>but I may have mixed that up with something else. Anyone got input on
>this.

I don't remember the conversation, but after all, Anthimus' treatise
_is_ a letter, after all, so it's conceivable it wasn't something
that became public knowledge for quite some time. I mean, it's not a
book that was published, and while we have plenty of manuscripts that
scribes thought worth copying and disseminating, this doesn't
necessarily have to be one of them.

On the other hand, if it represents a snapshot of contemporary eating
habits, even an incomplete one or one which is not consistent with
some as yet undiscovered snapshot/document, it doesn't mean people
didn't follow similar foodways to those described by Anthimus.

There's a great variance between extant Roman sources, too, for
example, and as far as I know, no really compelling evidence that
late Imperial Romans were especially familiar with Apicius. Mostly
what we can surmise is that if he is indeed the author, we have a
chance to narrow his identity down to two likely contenders, and
maybe a long shot or two, which is much of what gives us a sense of
when it was originally written.

In short, I don't think the phenomenon you're describing, if I
understand you correctly, is all that unusual. Or am I missing
something in your question?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782