[Sca-cooks] anthimus

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 6 12:43:18 PST 2005

Anthimus according to Mark Grant wasn't published and widely distributed
until 1864.
There are apparently 9 surviving
manuscripts or portions thereof. These include
  one from the 9th century; one 17th century; another that differs written
after 849; another 11th century; a very bad 14th or 15th century one
that is judged to be useless;
a 10th century one that is partially useful and a partial (first chapter
and into only) one dating from
the 11th or 12th century.
Ok, so would they have known about him or not? Question would be of
course did anyone in the
Medieval period or Renaissance talk about him or his works? I don't know
off hand if any sort
of contemporary 13th or 14th century accounts mention him. My guess is
that he too vanishes except
as a curiousity of vulgate Latin literature. Grant does say that even
after he was published in the 19th century,
no one cared about the foods being talked about-- they used him as an
example of late vulgar Latin.

Johnnae