[Sca-cooks] Homecomings Present and Past, a Personal View

Anne juliane.rose at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 19:51:04 PST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:55:51 -0500, Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:
> Was written:
>
> If you really want to thank our veterans take a long close look at what the
> congress and this admistration is doing to thier benifits.  Hold the
> politician's and bureaucrat's feet to the fire at the very least regards our
> veteran's continuing medical care needs... and that means all of our
> veterans be they regular service, reserve or national guard.    It is
> literally a crying shame.

Of course -- that is all too obvious, from hearing the kids and their
friends talk, and medical is one area that seriously needs revamping,
especially where professionalism is concerned -- *practicing* medicine
is alive and well!

My son-in-law said that the PX in Iraq does a nice job of ripping off
the soldiers -- things like sunglasses, which are a necessity there,
cost about three times what they do in the States.  Maybe they figure
the guys aren't spending their hard-earned pay anywhere else and it's
ok to take advantage???

Another lousy thing done to the guys:  they were given several lists
of items to bring to Iraq, but had to ship all but two duffles and a
carry-on back home on their own dime ... pay for boxes, tape,
shipping, again at greatly inflated prices -- even army-issued gear
that wouldn't fit in the duffles.

So, how DO we hold feet to the fire effectively?

Anne

--
~  Not all who wander are lost .... ~

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt
of in your philosophy."

--From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)