[Sca-cooks] Homecomings Present and Past, a Personal View

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Mar 5 13:28:46 PST 2005

Sing it Brother!  Sing it for the career Soldiers who chooses to spend their
lives standing ready, practicing and learning the skills to be there for us
at need.  Sing it also for the Citizen Soldiers of the Reserves and National
Guard who are juggling careers as Truck Drivers, Maytag repair men, cooks,
homemakers, etc, etc, etc. with that willingness to be there.

Our Career Soldiers have the military looking out for them to the extent
that a real drive is on to keep them on active service if that is what they
want.  This puts them on military bases (usually) with all the facilities
they need for care until they are finally retired.

Our Citizen Soldiers, Guard and Reserves, are processed as quickly as
possible to get them back to their civilian homes, and it's a really problem
(Watched C-Span's coverage of the hearings for Wounded).  These Soldiers are
going back to homes that are hundreds of miles from the nearest Veterans
centers.  Even when there is one relatively near by, if it is in a rural
area (Walla Walla, WA) the Politico's want to shut it down.  Where's the
next nearest place?  Seattle.

We are welcoming home Veterans and Soldiers who will become Veterans and our
government is cutting the Veterans Administration budget.  Since WE are the
government, it's up to us to do as Daniel says:  "hold their feet to the
fire".

Wanda Pease
Soldier and Family Assistance
US Army