[Sca-cooks] wine vinegar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Mar 8 11:38:29 PST 2005

Also sprach Alexa:
>  Greetings,
>
>I found a recipe for a sauce that uses wine vinegar.
>Well, I know there are a few different ones out there.
>  What would be the best for a period sauce recipe
>calling for 'wine vinegar'.  The recipe did not
>specify rice wine, red wine, etc.
>
>Alexa

Well, if the recipe doesn't specify, you presumably have a choice,
which may or may not be based upon the likelihood of red wine or
white wine being more prevalent in the country of origin. So, for
example, a German recipe might be slightly more likely to use a white
wine vinegar (or alegar, for that matter), because while they did
import and use red wines, they also made a lot of white wines. In
southern Italy, say, red wine is probably a more likely candidate for
vinegar production.

Then, there's the question of color. Which is better, or which do you
prefer? In a sauce that's supposed to be white, you might find a
little red wine vinegar changes that. How important is that to you?
In something like a cameline sauce red is probably best; in a white
garlic sauce, well, do the math.

Flavor, same thing. For me, I generally don't bother even buying red
wine vinegar, because with the exception of balsamic, I usually don't
like the stuff (even balsamic, to me, is usually kinda overrated);
give me a good white wine vinegar, sherry or champagne vinegar any
day.

Bottom line? It's up to you, based on your assessment as to which is
more likely to be found in the time/place you're working with, and
which you prefer.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782