[Sca-cooks] calimari/squid recipes?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 11:57:21 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>

Hi! We're looking for some good period/periodish recipes that could be
made with frozen squid. (Yes, there's this box of frozen squid, you
see...)

There's one in de Nola that I've made at home and liked.  It's in almond milk, with nuts and raisins.

Pottage of squid and cuttlefish

POTAJE DE CALAMARES Y JIBIAS

Squid and cuttlefish should be very well-washed and clean; and then gently fry them -- and not completely -- and when they are almost half cooked, take them out of the frying-pan. And put them in a pot; and then take blanched almonds, and raisins, and pine nuts; and then take a few toasted almonds, and grind them and strain them with a little vinegar watered down with fish broth if you have any; if not, cast in a little water so that it will not be very strong; and when the raisins and the almonds are slightly fried with the squid or the cuttlefish, take them and finish gently frying them [the fish], however they must be cut into pieces, and when this is done, prepare dishes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom