[Sca-cooks] calimari/squid recipes?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Mar 9 13:18:57 PST 2005

At 14:41 -0500 2005-03-09, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>  Hi! We're looking for some good period/periodish recipes that could be
>  made with frozen squid. (Yes, there's this box of frozen squid, you
>  see...)

Casteau's "Ouverture de Cuisine" (1604) has a recipe for cuttlefish
(not a squid, but a close relative).  Here's my translation:

   88. To make pasty of fresh cuttlefish.

     Take the cuttlefish well cleaned, and put it to boil until it
     is cooked, then take two or three onions chopped and fricasseed
     in butter, a salted [sour] lemon in pieces, nutmeg, and pepper,
     a bit of chopped mint, and put all together in the pasty, and
     enough butter.

     Note that is is necessary to cut the cuttlefish into pieces[:]
     the pasty being half cooked add a bit of Spanish wine.

Thorvald