[Sca-cooks] wine vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 17:40:30 PST 2005

Cordelia Toser commented:
> I always thought they'd use some leftover wine that had soured.
> As for what kind, grape based seems most likely.  I doubt that
> Europeans in period knew about rice wine and rice vinegar.
Well, I don't know if they made rice wine or rice vinegar in medieval
Europe. The Florilegium vinegar-msg file didn't have any info pro or
con on rice vinegar in period. It does have information on them making
vinegar from cider and ale, as well as grape wine.

The Florilegium files on vinegar are in the FOOD section and include:
Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?"
by
                                        Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
Coffeepots"
                                        by THL Mirin ben DhIarmait.
vinegar-msg       (78K) 12/21/04    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

There is also this similar item:
verjuice-msg     (101K) 12/15/04    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas