[Sca-cooks] Books for Cooks at British Library

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Mar 10 14:13:15 PST 2005

Oh, but didn't you know?
In the middle ages, when food went rotten it did not emit sulfates and organic products like Mercaptans, Cadaverine and Putrescine...  It smelled like roses.

And just a few spices cover up the presence of mercaptans and putrescine anyway!

I mean look how often a sprinkling of cinnamon was used to remove the smell of the stockyards and tanneries in period.

Oh yeah! Spices _will_ make rotten flesh palatable, every time!

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

 ( yeah, that was sarcasm )

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery